Reel Stories: what makes a Liverpool film?

24 March 2016 by Megan

Letter-to-Brezhnev.blog

Image copyright Jamie Reid

Reel Stories has got our visitors talking. Be it reminiscing over old films, vowing to finally find time for that classic they’ve never seen or just stunned that a Hollywood blockbuster was actually filmed on their doorstep; our new exhibition is full of surprises.

Paul Gallagher, Acting Senior Curator of Urban History tells a bit more about what makes a ‘Liverpool film’:

Of-time-and-the-city.blog

Poster design John McGill, Photograph by Bernard Fallon

“A Liverpool film for me isn’t just one that’s shot in the city – and just who doesn’t love spotting the locations – it’s one that captures the true personality of the place; funny and angry, warm and opinionated, savage but kind.

One of the many joys of researching these films and filmmakers is just how many capture that very essence of Liverpool.

I’ve absolutely loved discovering those hidden gems and rediscovering the big hits too. Some will make you laugh, some will make you cry, maybe even at the same time.

There’s a wonderful strapline on the poster for the film The Reckoning, another hidden beauty that was made in 1968, it says ‘how many Mick Marler’s do you know?’ It made me think, how many Liverpool films do you know? Why don’t you come to the Museum of Liverpool to find out?”

‘Reel Stories: Liverpool and the silver screen’ runs at the Museum of Liverpool until September 2017.

1. Antonia Malyon says:

I did make up on In The Name Of The Father. It was one of the best experience I’ve ever had

2. Edward Prescot says:

Hi, I was in ‘Letter to Breshnev ‘. I only had a small part and end up arguing with my girlfriend and throwing a pint over her! No one thought it would do anything but it was huge and Barry Norman loved it. I’m so proud to have it on my lifetime CV! My equity name was Ted Wood.

• Laura says:

Hi Edward Thanks for taking the time to comment. That might have only been a small part but anyone who loves the film will know that scene very well!

3. Lisa Soderberg-Jones says:

Letter to Brezhnev is one of my all time favourites, so many great lines in that film! Wouldn’t it be great if the Philharmonic would show it and the other iconic films while this exhibition is on.

4. Terry Dooley says:

Edward, I remember the scene well. Liverpool have hosted so many great films. Letter To Brezhnev (personal fave), Dancing Through the Dark, 51st State, No Surrender, The Crew…….The list goes on and on. I host a radio show about films and their music, the ones from back home have a very special place in my heart. Liverpool needs a film festival showcasing it’s associated works…….(Home sick now), Save me a ticket 🙂

5. May Briscoe says:

Was the woman that played the mother called Eileen Walsh?
    I was in the W.R.A.C. in 1951-1954. I knew her from there…she belonged to Edge Hill.
    She would be in her 80s now! Regards May Briscoe/nee Magan.

6. Beverley walsh says:

Love the film got it on DVD my grandads sister played the dark haired girls mum, her real name Eileen Walsh, classic loved every minute of it still watch it now 👌🏻

7. PhilLetford says:

Alan Bleasdale Film. Blood on the Dole

The Duke. Tony Booth starring as man who informs his grandchild that he is John Wayne the Duke about John Wayne
    Both had Merseyside Police Horses in the filming