Standing and walking proud

3 October 2018 by Kay

Addae wearing his rugby shirt

Addae, 2017. Courtesy of Liverpool Tritons RUFC

This Black History Month we celebrate diverse voices from Liverpool’s Black community.

The first is Addae, a member of Liverpool Tritons Inclusive Rugby Club. The Tritons, founded in 2016, is the first gay inclusive rugby team on Merseyside. They encourage new members from all backgrounds, ages, fitness levels, and rugby experience.

Tritons Rugby Club tshirt with a picture of Neptune holding a trident

Liverpool Tritons Inclusive Rugby Club t-shirt worn at Liverpool Pride, 30 July 2016; the day the club was officially launched. You can see this t-shirt on display in Tales from the city exhibition

Addae, tells us more about what the Club means to him:

“When I recently relocated to Liverpool from Trinidad & Tobago, via London, I realized that I wasn’t particularly fond of the area. Liverpool was cold, damp, and windy, and understanding the Scouse dialect seemed more of a task than a pleasure. I didn’t feel like I belonged here.

Frequently bored and uninspired, the only solace that I found was from running and reading, until I got the opportunity to leave. One day while I was leaving the Liverpool Central Library (which I consider a literary oasis), and although I had been there innumerable times, on that day my eyes were drawn to a flyer that had the holy words, ‘Liverpool Tritons: Inclusive Rugby’.

I held the #80, 5.5″ x 3.25″ gloss stock in my hand, and little did I know that it would change the course my life forever. I have had an on and off love affair with rugby since I was 12 years old in secondary school, and I have since trained, played, and coached rugby at every level up to the international divisions. I’ve never enjoyed being part of rugby in any capacity for a very long time until I met and joined the Tritons on the first day.

I migrated to the UK just over a year ago, and for the first time I can confess not only that I belong here, but that I can really feel included — regardless of my age, my sexual orientation, race, beliefs or status, I can stand and walk proud. The Liverpool Tritons are responsible for all of that!”

The Tritons are included in our exhibition Tales from the city at the Museum of Liverpool. And don’t forget to download our trail exploring how Liverpool’s Black community is represented in our displays and check out the Black History Month events across National Museums Liverpool’s venues throughout October.

1. John Paul says:

Keep it up Addae! Keep striving for excellence.

2. Ramone Simmonds says:

Job well do proud of you

3. Monidipa Dutta says:

They are great because Liverpool’s first Inclusive Rugby Team, aimed at encouraging new and returning players from all backgrounds into the sport, is on the lookout for new players.

4. AJ Ford says:

Wow. Blessings to you Addae. Congrats on your move to Liverpool and all God’s blessings in everything that you do. I’m super proud of you and please continue to be happy and guard yourself jealously. Kudos Pa!!

5. Max birchwood says:

Hey to everyone Addae is a hard working guy well down job he is a really a out going person he wud make u guys proud in his task to his work Addae i know u will do your best keep liverpool shining

6. Patricia-Ann Que says:

im now very familar with football bit this is surely informative. inclusion is really important!

7. Marysa says:

It sounds like a great place to be, where people are so inclusive. It’s nice to hear about good things like this.

8. Alejandra Graf says:

Your story is so inspiring. Love how you managed to turn all against you to such a beautiful and inspiring experience.

9. Amanda Yorton says:

Amazing! So happy you feel accepted for who you are! Thank you for sharing!

10. Renee says:

It is nothing like finding something you love that gives to you more than you give to it. I am happy you found it and fell in love with your new home.

11. Echo says:

I love learning about people! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!

12. Debby says:

My family and I spent 2 days in Liverpool earlier this year. So much rich history. I think of soccer in Liverpool and did not really know about rugby.

13. Enriqueta E Lemoine says:

Great program, great post, great individual! Go Tritons. Lovely post. Good job Liverpool people!

14. Silvia says:

Libraries are magical places aren’t they? I always find interesting things in their boards, some can change lives, like yours.

15. Vanessa says:

This is great! So happy he found a place he feels comfortable in and like he belongs.

16. Suzanne says:

This is great for the Tritons! Love how loyal fans can be.

17. Ximeni Phillips says:

Since I have known Addae—he is a person who is possess of strong determination, ambition and self-confidence, and is the perfect balance between ethics and humanity. Keep striving for not the sky, but the inner light of self-actualization.

18. Richard says:

Very good, making your homeland brothers and sisters proud of you, all the best in the future.

19. Noel says:

Awesome Addae. I am incredibly proud of you. This was well written and very articulate. Continue to do well.

20. Noel says:

Congratulations Addae. Articulate and well written article. I am extremely proud of you. Continue to do well.

21. Randie Lawrence says:

Interesting program. Blessed you Addea. And congratulation my friend. Don’t stop bring out the Greater Version of yourself. It has no limits. Blessed you alwayssssss. Lawrence.

22. Randie Lawrence says:

All the best to each and every individuals at Liverpool!

23. KingJohn says:

I think this is absolutely wonderful. Pushing our gay culture forward

24. K.A. Wypych says:

It goes to show that sports as well as supportive community are necessary to live your best life! Great story!

25. Kirk says:

Awesome Addae. Keep going.

26. Jessica Lynn Martin says:

I love his story! So glad he feels included where he is. It is so important for programs like this to included everyone no matter what! Keep up the amazing work Addae!

27. Sammy says:

This is a really inspirational story. Good job Addae

28. shaquille reid says:

had always know you as a man of subtance & dignaty a god sent lengend proud of u bro u have my support keeping up the good works.

29. Devyani Ray says:

Congrats on your move! You will love it there.

30. David Elliott says:

That’s great you are celebrating the great black diversity you have there. And great he is finally able to feel like he belongs where he is at. That’s always a great feeling.

31. blair villanueva says:

Am just starting to like football because of my boyfriend, and I admire their dedication and sportsmanship!
    Good luck to all their upcoming games 😀

32. Dee briscoe says:

Thanks Addae for sending me this. In life we have to find our own ground where we fit in and I’m truly happy for you that your here and you have found your ground where you are comfortable you can live your life and achieve your goals especially with your Ruby which you are passionate about big blessing to you now and in the near future.

33. Giovanni says:

Well done Addae, very moving story. Many congrats and keep it up. Proud of you.

34. Sigrid Says says:

If we all can just be more accepting of all kinds of people from different nations, this would be a much better place because in diversity, we realize that people have so many good ideas, talents, and skills that are good for our world.

35. June says:

I am going to see his play this weekend. It’s amazing to see all he’s been through to finally find a home in Liverpool. Artist, writer and now rugby player…Talent

36. Lori says:

Finding a group that accepts you for who you are can make all the difference in the world. Enjoyed your post!

37. Ola @ WanderWithOla says:

Wow this is such an interesting read. I’m glad that despite a rough start, he finally found himself not only belong but actually really included regardless of his background. All the best for The Liverpool Tritons!

38. Tonya Wilhelm says:

The UK sounds like a great place to live. Way to go at staying strong and proud.

39. Terri says:

Congrats to Addea! I am so happy he found a team and a place where he feels like he belongs. This is very inspirational!

40. Aditi says:

Participating in Black History month and making new members feel a sense of belonging is such a wonderful thing. Great job!

41. Vikrant Nimbalkar says:

I love football. Its is best game someone can play. It is great to find out where you belong.

42. Vaibhav Mehta says:

Absolutely happy and proud of you mate. The feeling of unity and inclusiveness is all a human desires..glad you feel the part of the people as one 🙂

43. Maartje says:

Very interesting! Had never heard of him before!

44. Grace says:

More power to this! Such an inspiring move done there. Goodluck to your games!

45. lakatwoman says:

I’m so happy you found a place you can fully be yourself. Continue to thrive.

46. Talya says:

What a great post on a great individual. So happy is able to feel like he belongs. Thank you for sharing this all with us!

47. Heather says:

What a great inspiring story! And a beautiful one to share so we can learn too.

48. Rosey says:

I am so happy that you found a place where you belong. That matters so much, and we don’t really realize it until we find our place and feel the sweet relief of contentment. 🙂

49. swathi says:

This is great way to celebrate black history month . Glad that he finally able to find his place there.

50. Traci Frett says:

So inspirational! Thank you for sharing your story!

51. Sophie says:

I saw the play that Addae has written and directed last weekend for Black History Month. It was poignant

52. Mike says:

Congrats to you. Good rugby player, great actor. I love to see wonderful diverse people being represented.